2010-11-?? Animated sock puppet monkeys
2011-01-?? Auction that started the last story (8 year, 10 months
After Storm Front. ~2 months after Small Favor)
18 months lands us on Turncoat
33 months lands us on Changes
I’d like to advance the timeline a little under a year to December of 9 ASF, which puts us about 6 months before Turn Coat.
Notable events and rumors include:
- The Northwest Passage Project has obtained several large tracts from Weyerhaeuser, both in the Olympics and the Cascades.
- The population of teenaged changeling runaways is growing again. In fact, it’s kind of getting difficult to find a teenage runaway that isn’t a changeling…
- McNeil Island, the last remaining island prison in the United States, is closed … mostly. It’s still closed to the public.
- In the wake of the church fires, some of the Nazirites from the Church of the Living Christ have formed a security company: The Strength of Samson. They’ve been providing additional security for most local churches at-cost, coordinating with neighborhood watch groups, but haven’t found much in the way of profitable business.
- Arson has been an ongoing problem, with another fire very couple months … but these haven’t been churches. A former library building turned community center, a karate school, and an old “adult cinema”.
- The Olympic College Board of Trustees was abruptly emptied, and the charter only allows for nominating a new trustee by the current members of the board. Since OC owns many of the buildings downtown, this kicked off a massive storm of local politics. Nominations were extended to several local investors who had been actively involved in Olympic College’s funding. An offer has been extended to the Quinn family (I’ll work with Steve on the details), and there’s a Nockley on the Board. An offer was made to Abersnikity, but he declined.
- Theo’s search for information about his father was complicated when the Navy claimed that they had never heard of his father, that no sailor existed in their records with that identifying information. After 3 months, the Navy again admitted his existence, and claimed that there had been a “filing mistake”. FOIA requests seem to get slower and more useless every year.
- It’s pretty clear that Dresden and Captain Luccio are involved.
- Some of the younger hotheads look up to Dresden; others remember that he is a Menace.
- Luccio is taking a very active role in Warden training, and letting Donald Morgan take more of the day-to-day leadership.
- Commander Ramirez is MUCH more worried about Red Court activity in California and Chihuahua than Washington. For the PNW, he is encouraging a containment strategy: observe and report any Red Court activity, and any signs that they are setting up a new base of operations should be reported to him, so that the wardens in the area can respond in concert with overwhelming force.
- Vivi has been asked to help on some of these missions in the area (Newport, Sandpoint, and Whitehorse). This has helped establish her reputation with other Wardens in “nearby” cities.
And here are the rough notes on Avery’s plans. These may get changed
or lengthened out depending on the intensity of activities in
One Week: Invest in a certain bar to make sure it’s available for
Neph’s agreement. Start researching the transfiguration documentation.
Start analyzing the Crest with an eye to abandoning it.
Two Weeks: Disassemble the Seagull Panopticon, keeping some of the
brighter birds but returning the vast majority to their unagumented
One Season: Internalize that my family finances are on unknown ground
(blind trust makes payments, but who knows what it’s based on), and
start seriosly investing locally and in Seattle, fill in some of the
local business vacume. Experiment with ‘off’ days, sans Crest
Six Months: Continue uplift experiments, but avoid wide scale
application, more of an ‘enhanced pets and allies’ rather than ‘single
purpose tools’. Work on identity preserving
transformations/enhancements/protections/idealizations. Relegate Crest
to an ‘In time of Emergency’ item (Drop the IoP, keep the aspect,
sometimes use temporary Power Rules (or compels))
(Still pondering the longer term work, mostly it will be the results
of the projects started in the first year).
I don’t have a lot of plans for Neph. Her focuses are:
- Improving the lot of the unfortunate in Bremerton
- Counseling students at the college.
- Finding out what the hell is in the Gnome’s basement that her goddess wants her to discover.
- Minimizing the negative impact of mystical things on the city in general and the people who can’t protect themselves in specific.
Re – Board of trustees: If Neph can be involved in that, she’ll want to be. She’s probably not in a position to be offered a seat but she is interested in being involved on some level.
She’s also going to see what she can do about extending her circle of direct influence. I’m not sure how that works, exactly, but with a little under a year, she’ll be looking to make the safe zone that is her house extend further – especially with all of the changeling runaways. If she can scrape together the funds, she might even start an official sort of ‘safe place to run’ for mystically inclined kids.
- Run interference between Neph and The Gnome with a primary goal of avoiding a conflict that would force him to pick sides.
- Recover the knife bearing the names of certain demons. The boss tasked him with getting it, and damned if he’s going to be frustrated by a bunch of Jonny-come-latelys who are likely to try to recover it just because it’s a horrendously dangerous item in the wrong hands.
- Failing that, pursue business as usual and keep the peace.
- Try to uncover the history and deeper nature of the silver needle. Certain demon-possessed persons wanted it, which suggests that it has uses beyond casting illusions and frying minds.
- Tutor Theo in Lore, with a focus on practical knowledge of That Which Goes Bump.
- Design and assemble a kit for general “neighborhood committee” use in identifying and dealing with assorted nasties. This should include a briefcase-sized “field kit” with some diagnostic tools, a bestiary, and some common Catch-busting tools (iron nails, etc.), but also a larger assembly of collected materials such as multiple two-liter bottles of holy water. This is going to become something of a hobby. He’ll enlist Avery’s aid (and resources) in assembling this. In fact, should the master of the house be willing, the “larger assembly” is likely to occupy one of Avery’s closets.
- Fight the war, in whatever form that takes. They also serve who only stand and wait.
- Study and learn. Magic, scholastics, and military skills, for the most part. (And in that order.)
- Become more involved with the people in Bremerton and outer areas. This is probably starting with joining Star of the Sea’s Social Justice and Outreach committee and volunteering. For lots of things.
- In general, try to stay aware of wierdness going on in the area and stop the stuff that harms people.
- Repairing and maintaining the boat
- Digging more into what happened to his dad
- Trying to pay off any debt he may have incurred over the last few adventures.